CHIEF CARTOGRAPHIC TECHNICIAN
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Chief Cartographic Technician. Applicants should have at least a diploma in Surveying, Geo-Information and remote sensing or any other relevant diploma in the spatial disciplines. They should be familiar with modern surveying and cartographic equipment and techniques, and should have managerial skills to manage and transform the GIS laboratory into a modern facility to serve the students and wider community in areas requiring spatial mapping skills. Applicants with knowledge in computer programming, database management and metadata development will have an added advantage. The applicants should also have at 3years work experience in a busy institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Sorting and filing of maps, aerial photographs and all cartographic and surveying materials
2. Preparing and maintaining a modern digital database and metadata for existing spatial data
3. Demonstrating map analysis skills to students
4. Organizing surveying practicals using Total Station and Hand-Held GPS
5. Preparing and administering GIS and Remote Sensing practicals
6. Coordinating the management of Laboratories and classes
7. Coordinating the functions and responsibilities of support service sections
8. Mobilising resources through income generating activities to make the department self-sustaining.
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates and names of three traceable referees should be submitted in hard copies to:
P.O Box 280