Consultancy to Develop a Strategic Plan for the Centre for Social Research (CSR)
The Centre for Social Research (CSR) is a research and training arm of the Faculty of Social Science at Chancellor College, the largest constituent college of the University of Malawi. The CSR is mandated to undertake applied social science research, policy engagement and influence, training and outreach, and capacity building and development. While the CSR has its own core staff complement, it augments its capacity by drawing relevant expertise from the six departments in the Faculty of Social Science, namely: Economics, Sociology, Psychology, History, Demography and Political and Administrative Studies. It is against this backdrop that the CSR seeks to procure consultancy services for the development of its Strategic Plan for the period between 2017 and 2021 following the expiry of its 2012-2016 Strategic Plan so as to entrench its competitiveness both in Malawi and within the region.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a four year Strategic Plan for the period between 2017 and 2021 to ensure that the CSR fulfils its mandate efficiently and effectively.
Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not limited to the following:
- Review of CSR’s vision and mission based on its core objectives, performance track record over the years and the overall operative context.
- Undertake stakeholder mapping and analysis in order to identify strategies that CSR should adopt in order to enhance its competitiveness.
- Review CSR’s institutional capacity, organizational set-up and administrative systems against its strategic objectives and key result areas.
- Propose strategies for achieving CSR’s strategic goals, objectives and key result areas.
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the tenure of CSR’s Strategic Plan.
- Propose monitoring and evaluation strategies and mechanisms to ensure the effective implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Prepare Annual Action Plans for the tenure of CSR’s Strategic Plan to include, inter alia, objectives, activities, resource mobilization, key result areas and outcomes.
- In collaboration with CSR, hold stakeholder meeting(s) to validate the draft Strategic Plan.
- Incorporate feedback from stakeholders’ consultations to finalize the Strategic Plan and submit it to CSR.
- An Inception Report.
- Draft issues paper or a situation analysis.
- Draft Strategic Plan.
- Final Strategic Plan incorporating suggestions and recommendations from the validation workshop(s).
- Time Span
- The assignment is expected to take a maximum of 25 man days and to be completed within 90 days from the date of the award of the contract.
The Consultant will report directly to the Director of CSR. CSR will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment and will also be responsible for the logistics for the key activities under this consultancy.
Expertise, Skills and Competencies
The Consultant or individual must possess at least a Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Management, Business Administration and/or Development Studies. Those with a PhD in any of these fields will have an added advantage.
The Consultant or individual must have: 1) over five years of professional experience in strategic planning and management consultancy; and 2) prior work experience in the academic organizational and change management will be an added advantage.
The Consultant must possess the following skills and competencies: 1) ability to work with minimal supervision; 2) proven excellent written and oral communication skills in English; 3) must be results oriented, a team player, exhibiting high level of enthusiasm, tacit, diplomacy and integrity; 4) skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements and/or workshops; 5) evidence of having undertaken similar assignments; and 6) experience in research, policy development, management and programme-related work.
- The application containing technical and financial proposals sealed in separate envelops should be sent to the IPC chairperson Chancellor college on or before 10.00am 6th March 2017. The following additional documents should accompany the technical proposal.
- A cover letter outlining motivation and summarizing relevant professional experience.
- CV with full description of the Consultant’s or applicant’s profile and professional experience.
- Contact details from at least three independent referees with in depth and proven knowledge of the applicant’s expertise and relevant professional work experience.
- Business license, certificate of incorporation, current, Malawi Revenue Authority (VAT) and tax clearance certificate 2016 to 2017 financial year.
- Financial capability documents such as access to funds, certified bank statement and any relevant financial information.
- ODPP registration certificate for 2016-17 financial year.
Evaluation of Expression of Interest
Chancellor College will evaluate the expression of interest basing on qualifications of interested bidders and submission of documents listed under paragraphs above. Qualified bidders will then be invited to submit technical and financial proposals. A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the Public Procurement Act (2004).
Enquiries and Submission of Proposals
Submission Further information can be obtained at the address below during working hours from 09:00 to 16:00hours.
Expression of interest clearly labeled “Expression of Interest to Develop a Strategic Plan for the Centre for Social Research (Chancellor College)
For the Proposed expression of interest must be deposited in the Tender Box at the ‘Chancellor College Porter at the address below on or before Monday, 6th March, 2017.
For clarification contact
Internal Procurement Committee (IPC)
Chancellor College, University of Malawi
P.O. Box 280, Zomba
For submission of Expression of Interest and Proposal
Internal Procurement Committee (IPC)
P.O. Box 280, Zomba